Tuesday, October 28

KODT

About a year and a half ago, the BFF (Boy Friend Forever) got addicted to a new type of geek crack, when we attended Free Comic Book Day 2007. This has got to be the best marketing scheme EVER, the idea possibly coming straight from the streets where the drug dealers have perfected getting people addicted with a free sample. Once a year, the first Saturday of May, most comic book publishers give away demo copies or complete comics, and most comic book shops participate and get very high traffic that day! (I’d like to set up an energy drink and cheesy-pouf stand outside a comic book store on that day)
So almost every other week for the last eighteen months, the BFF has gone back to his favorite comic shop to pick up things from his ‘pull list’ (this new geek crack even has weird new language to go with it!), I've gone with him sometimes, but the shop has about 30 cats laying on the counters, which bugs my nose (and non-cat-person sensibilities) a little. A couple weeks ago, after his usual stop during the week enlightened him to a great sale, he wanted to back on the weekend before the sale was over, and he said he’d buy me something, too. Can’t pass that up!
As I was wondering around the store, I couldn’t decide what I might like to read. He already brings home so many good titles and I read what I have time to, and I didn’t really know what new comic I might like. Then I decided to dig through the old boxes of comics, who knows, I might find a copy of one of the series I bought many years ago (when dating a different comic collector), Samuri Penguin, Boffo Laughs, or the one Moon Shadow I’m missing.
And then I saw a bunch of old copies of Knights Of The Dinner Table, a comic about gaming, specifically role playing. I'd heard of it before, but never read it, and with old copies going for 4 for $2, with the store sale on top, I decided to try it out.
I started with the ones that were actually in order #30-#34, published way back in 98, but the story line got me hooked. And in addition to the comic stories about the different gaming groups, there are articles about building your RPG characters, and some board game reviews, too.
Since RPG-ing is one (probably the only) gaming type that I don't currently do much of, but would like to do more, I have been reading these comics cover to cover, and picking up more. The LGS (local game shop) has used copies as well, so now I've picked up several, and I'm probably going to subscribe. The most recent issue that I was able to get my hands on has some parts of a new-ish western RPG, including some NPCs and maps.
Their website has much cool stuff, too.

No comments: