Saturday, October 25

Game Memories: Authors

Possibly the first game I ever played, and certainly the first game I ever remember playing was the card game Authors (although that’s not what we called it in our family-and that’s another story) Going from memory, the rules were similar to Go Fish, but a bit more advanced, instead of just asking for ‘threes’ or in a themed deck ‘catfish’ or whatever, you had to ask for a specific card which was a specific book. For example, the Mark Twain cards were, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, The Prince and the Pauper, and The Mysterious Stranger, the book’s title was at the top and the other three books were listed at the bottom of the card. So instead of asking “do you have any Mark Twains?” you would have to ask “do you have Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain?” I never really enjoyed playing Go Fish, probably because I was spoiled by Authors.
In addition to learning more complicated rules (and thus sparking the life-long desire for interesting games), I learned who wrote what, and even thou I’ll admit I haven’t read some of them, I’ll never forget who wrote The Call of the Light Brigade, or Little Women, or Oliver Twist. It might be fun to make a reading list from this game, they are all classics, after all. I also learned the value of gaming as a family activity, learned how to play games with young children, and learned a nifty trick to help kids keep track of a big handful of cards.
My teacher was my dear Grandmother, my dad’s mom, and this was the first of many games that I played with her or at her house over the years. When I was very young, my parents would sometimes have to go out-of-town for conferences or classes, and often I and my little brother would stay with our Grandparents for the weekend or week while our parents were gone. Time at Grandma's house was more precious on these times when our parents weren't with us, because Grandma would have more time to spend with us personally. My brother played outside a lot, and was (still is) four years younger, so he wasn't old enough to play at first, so I remember most the games just between Grandma and I.
I don't remember learning the rules, but I remember Grandma teaching me a nifty trick. She got out a section or page from the newspaper, and taught me how to put the fold at the top, and lay my cards out on the bottom, having the top to easily come down as a cover. And Grandma used a newspaper, too, and didn't ever 'let' me win, and never considered the game a kid's game. I tried to play my kids' games with them when they were little similar to how Grandma played with me, as if the game they were interested in at the time was the best game in the world.
I've played a lot of games in my life, and will play many, many more. But you always hold a special place in your heart for the first one.

No comments: