Friday, October 31

Game Memories: Gruen

When writing about my first game memory, I mentioned that we didn't call the game by it's actual name in my family. This is one of those family stories, that is so old (and/or I was so young), I don't actually remember it happening, I just remember the story. One of those stories that is told every time the event happens, usually embarrassing the person in the story when they are of a certain age, but fondly remembered at a later age.
As the story goes, my parents, brother, and I were visiting Dad's parents for the weekend (in such a small town, our weekend visit would warrant a sentence or two in the town paper). And I kept asking Grandma to play a game with me, the game I wanted to play was Gruen. Grandma had no idea what I was talking about, and I thought I was mispronouncing it, so I kept trying to make her or my parents understand what I was saying, to no avail. I'm sure they all thought me daft. Finally, someone suggested that I go find the game in question and we'd see what I was talking about. The card game was one of my favorites, and was in a nice copper colored box with the name Gruen on it, I knew right where it was on the basement shelves, so I went to get it.
Turns out, Gruen was a watch company, and my Grandma's copy of the card game Authors was so old, it either had worn out it's original box, or didn't ever have one, and so Grandma had kept the cards in the old watch box. Laughter was all around when the grown-ups finally figured out what little shelly was trying to say. Hey, that's the name on the box, how was I to know?
Every time the game was played after that, we called it Gruen, and had a laugh, and a nice memory. After Grandma passed a few years ago, my Mom was going through some of Grandma's things with some other family members, and since all the grandkids loved playing this game, the deck was split up between branches of the family. But my Mom asked if she could also have the box, so she could make me something special. And the next Christmas after that, this wallhanging was one of my gifts. It will always hang in my gaming room, and hopefully will be passed down to future gamers.

No comments: